GrandBridge Energy (formerly Energy+) bills water and sewer charges on behalf of the County of Brant. The County of Brant determines annual rates for Water and Sewer charges. Your monthly bill may include water and/or waste water charges.

Here are some frequently-asked questions and answers about your water services:

 Where is my water meter located?

Water meters are generally located near the shut-off valve in your basement or crawl space. It may also be located near the hot water tank or near your furnace. This is what your water meter may look like:

Water Meter Picture

 How do I read my water meter?

The water consumption is billed based on the actual metered use. Sewer charges, in turn, are based on the amount of water used.

Water meters are generally much simpler to read. The current reading is read just like an odometer on your car - and is read from left to right (see sample of meter above). If you are concerned with your usage you can read your meter and submit your water meter read at any time.

To measure your consumption, simply subtract the current reading from an earlier reading. The difference represents your consumption in cubic meters. Each cubic meter is equal to approximately 220 gallons of water.

 How do I submit a meter read?
You can submit your water reading online. You may also email your water reading to or contact us
 How can I check for a water leak?
If you think you have a leak, turn off all water-consuming appliances inside and outside your home. Read your meter. If the test dial (red triangle) on your meter is spinning, water is flowing through the meter. You may also want to monitor your meter reads overnight. Take a reading before you go to bed and first thing in the morning before you use any water. If the numbers have changed, there may be a leak somewhere in your home. Remember, toilets are the number one cause of leaks.

Report leaks at the water meter right away to the County of Brant Water Division.

 Is a deposit required?

A $200.00 deposit is required with all new applications, unless a customer provides proof of good payment history, or letter of reference from another utility. Low income status does not exempt you from paying a water deposit.

The deposit is held for 12 months of good payment history where there is no more than one collection or return payment notice. Once good payment is established, the deposit and incurred interest is refunded to the account.

 What portion of the water pipe am I responsible for maintaining?

Municipal water is transmitted from the watermain in the street to the plumbing in the house via a buried water service pipe. The County of Brant owns and maintains the section of the pipe in the road allowance. The property owner owns and maintains the pipe on private property. The buried pipe sometimes needs to be repaired or replaced.  

Customers should check their insurance policy to confirm if the repair/replacement of the pipe is covered under all conditions. The County of Brant has endorsed a water service connection warranty program by Service Line Warranties of Canada (SLWC). Questions regarding the coverage (eligibility, enrollment, etc.) should be directed to SLWC 1-844-616-8444 or